Did you figure out today’s podcast topic from the title?
If not, let me spell it out for you. . . S. E. X. (typing that word is so much easier then saying it, whew).
Today’s guest, Mary Flo Ridley, shares how to help our kids develop healthy attitudes and behaviors about sex.
Honestly, after hearing her speak one time, at a MOPS meeting, I felt better equipped to teach my boys about “the birds & the bees.”
Mary Flo is not a medical doctor and does not claim to be an expert. But she has been teaching on this topic for 30 years, has three grown children and is a fellow mom. I don’t know about you but usually I’d rather learn from another mom, any day.
Through a simple step-by-step program, Mary Flo helps answer the questions:
- What should we call “private parts”?
- If I teach them the names, how do I keep them from repeating them in public or teaching their friends?
- How do I become the one my kids go to with questions about sex?
- How early should I talk to my kids?
- What exactly should I say?
Her answers will most likely surprise you. But once you hear the rationale you can’t deny how right she is.
“These conversations should be simple, straight-forward, and to the subjects that children are curious about–their own bodies, how babies are born, and how babies are made. They have a natural curiosity about these things, and I want to capture those moments instead of running from them.” -Mary Flo Ridley
Here’s a little video clip with another thought when considering “how soon should I talk to my child about sex”:
(if reading via email, click here to watch the video)
I hope our podcast helps equip you and removes dread regarded a singular “talk”. May an open dialogue begin between you and your kiddos that will last through adolescence.
To learn more, definitely check out Mary Flo’s books in the links below.
Connect with Mary Flo:
- “Simple Truths : A Simple Natural Approach to Discussing Sex with your Children” by Mary Flo Ridley
- “God’s Very Good Design” by Mary Flo Ridley
- Birds and Bees Digital Program
**How to listen to the podcast:**
1.Listen on the blog. Click through to GodCenteredMom.com and click the play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch – There are a lot of great podcasting apps. Apple has a free one (that I mentioned) in the app store, there is also one called Downcast. It allows you to search for shows, subscribe to them and even speed up the audio. If you don’t have an iDevice, you can listen via Stitcher.
3. Subscribe to the Podcast – access the podcast in iTunes (Click here to access via iTunes). You can also search for it on your smartphone app (like the ones listed above) and subscribe.
*If you missed past episodes, you can listen via iTunes or click on this page of the GodCenteredMom site to find a listing of all the episodes.
Have a question for Mary Flo? Leave it in the comments below.
(hee hee. . .that rhymed)