When you find yourself in a fight, what battle strategy do you use?
No matter the battleground . . . Marriage challenges. Child struggles. Health trials. Overwhelming circumstances.
How do you maneuver the daily attacks that rob your joy and peace?
Today’s guest is Jan Greenwood, author and Pastor of women at Gateway Church in Southlake, TX. In 2009, Jan was diagnosed with Stage IV breast cancer. After the first battle, she experienced years of healing. Then four days shy of her 6 year recovery anniversary, cancer resurged in her body.
In this episode, Jan shares what God’s taught her about waging war. And how the football term #squareup impacted her battle strategies differently from the first and second time she fought cancer. Jan shares what it means for her to rest and let God fight for her. And encourages each of us to get a word and direction from the Lord for our unique situations.
Y’all know how much I love a wise woman leading us with fresh perspective and insight. Jan does not disappoint.
Here are a few of my favorite quotes from this episode:
This time my mindset has had to become one of agreement and not one of opposition. And squaring up is not about being steadfast in the Word of God, but its really about can I square up in such a manner that I can look at Jesus and trust Him.
I’m not very brave and not very strong. When I’m weak there’s a strength that shines through. And when I’m afraid, He makes me courageous.
Connect with Jan Greenwood:
Featured Sponsor: Jelly Telly
JellyTelly is the only streaming video app designed specifically for kids where God is real and His Word is true. Co-developed with VeggieTales® creator Phil Vischer. Instantly stream hundreds of hours of safe, affirming videos and movies for kids about God, the Bible, and faith. Available on iOS, Android, and Kindle. Popular shows include: VeggieTales, Hillsong Kids, the Jesus Storybook Bible and MANY more!
Check them out at here. Make sure you use the special discount code for GodCenteredMomPodcast listeners mentioned at the beginning of this week’s show.
What we chat about:
- How God spoke to Jan at the news of cancer’s resurgence.
- How Jan found comfort in her son’s football word “square up”.
- The difference between how Jan has fought cancer the first time and the second time.
- What “square up” means for her in this season.
- The story behind the hashtag Jan uses: #bravestronggirl.
- How her battle with cancer impacts her mothering.
- Jan’s desire to get women to war together instead against each other.
- The revelation to choose life and not succumb to death.
- What rest looks like in Jan’s every day.
- How you need your own word and direction from God.
- “Women at War: Declaring a Cease-fire on Toxic Female Relationships” ** (womenatwar.com)
- The #SquareUp story on her site JanGreenwood.me
**Amazon Affiliate Link
How to listen to the podcast:
1.Listen on the blog. Click through to GodCenteredMom.com and click the play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch – There are a lot of great podcasting apps. Apple has a free one (that I mentioned) in the app store, there is also one called Downcast. It allows you to search for shows, subscribe to them and even speed up the audio. If you don’t have an iDevice, you can listen via Stitcher.
3. Subscribe to the Podcast – access the podcast in iTunes (Click here to access via iTunes). You can also search for it on your smartphone app (like the ones listed above) and subscribe.
This podcast was such an encouragement to our family. We are fighting our own battle, and feeling strongly that God is saying that the war is not yours to fight. We are not to battle pray, but to rest and worship while God wins this battle. It’s so hard not to ‘work’, but to rest when everything is on the line. But we felt so strongly that what Jan shared was a confirmation of what we have already felt God saying. As we look to Jesus, and rest, he calls us to a place of worship. That worship keeps our eyes on him and away from fear. Thanks for sharing!