Three years ago she directed us to soul healing. Two years ago she reminded us of the power of sex in marriage.
Francie Winslow is back. This time to share what she’s learned about the exponential impact marital intimacy has on the world around us.
Sex is a multiplying factor in our lives, not just with producing kids, but producing a massive amount of connection.
In the past two years Francie has been doing extensive research on theology of the body. Exploring how God stamped His image on us. How we express our roles as image bearers through sex in marriage.
God is an invisible God who wants to make himself visible to us. When man and woman come together as one it’s his invitation for humanity to become one with God. Intimately connected with Him.
Francie shares their own family stress and her personal struggle with anxiety. Things that can disrupt marital connection. She vulnerably shares how she and her husband have purposefully chosen sex over isolation.
God’s training us to fight for connection and for each other instead of against each other.
Love Francie’s practical tips for keeping technology in check. So often screens and devices creep in between couples, increasing the distance and decreasing the intimacy.
Don’t miss the list of great resources below to help train your children in forming a healthy perspective of the body and sex.
Featured Sponsor: Jelly Telly
JellyTelly is the only streaming video app designed specifically for kids where God is real and His Word is true. Co-developed with VeggieTales® creator Phil Vischer. Instantly stream hundreds of hours of safe, affirming videos and movies for kids about God, the Bible, and faith. Available on iOS, Android, and Kindle. Popular shows include: VeggieTales, Hillsong Kids, the Jesus Storybook Bible and MANY more!
Check them out at here. Make sure you use the special discount code for GodCenteredMomPodcast listeners mentioned at the beginning of this week’s show.
What we chat about:
- Francie’s journey to learn sex isn’t dirty or a duty but a delight.
- Her recent study of theology of the body.
- How anxiety and adoption stress led Francie and her husband to choose to have more sex (you read that right).
- How technology impacts our marital connection and practical solutions
- Help and healing for women who struggle with their view of sex.
- A reminder to daily do the things that keep you alive as a person.
- The Ripple Effect of sex in marriage.
- A word of encouragement for the single mom.
- Training our kiddos in a healthy sexual worldview (check out Francie’s resource list below).
Connect with Francie:
- Soul Freedom (encore)Episode
- The Power of Sex in Marriage Episode
- Andy Crouch
- Beth Moore’s Daniel Study**
Francie’s Resource List:
- Theology of the Body Books for Kids by Monica Ashour
Get these books (as many as you can!) and read them over and over and over. They are great for a range of ages – not just toddlers. Not only will it help form a great spiritual foundation for your kids as they enter a sexually intense world as kids (sadly it happens young these days), it will help you as a grown up re-learn how to think about bodies, sexuality and identity. It will also help give you simple, common language to use on an everyday basis in your home. They have all been such a big part of us growing in this new way of seeing the gift of sex as a family.
For older kids:
- The Talk: 7 Lessons to Introduce Your Child to Biblical Sexuality** by Luke Gilkerson (there are several others to go with this series too). Loving this one right now with my 8 year old.)
- Before I Was Born (God’s Design for Sex)** by Carolyn Nostrum
- Good Pictures, Bad Pictures : Porn-Proofing Today’s Young Kids ** by Kristen Jensen
Theology of His Body/Theology of Her Body** by Jason Evert
This was written with college kids in mind, but I found it super helpful and use it woven into conversations with my kids.
For those who want more depth…Theology of the Body for Beginners** by Christopher West
**Amazon Affiliate Link
How to listen to the podcast:
1.Listen on the blog. Click through to GodCenteredMom.com and click the play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch – There are a lot of great podcasting apps. Apple has a free one (that I mentioned) in the app store, there is also one called Downcast. It allows you to search for shows, subscribe to them and even speed up the audio. If you don’t have an iDevice, you can listen via Stitcher.
3. Subscribe to the Podcast – access the podcast in iTunes (Click here to access via iTunes). You can also search for it on your smartphone app (like the ones listed above) and subscribe.
This is the first episode of your podcast I have listened to, and it was AmaZing! The truth Francie shared is a total confirmation about things I have been gleaning from God’s word. I literally have been praying for help and wisdom about the power of connection sexually. What a blessing and delight this ep was, thank you!
Oh Diana!! What a joy to see your comment. Love how God, through the Holy Spirit, provides the wisdom and direction we earnestly seek. Blessings!
Powerful! So powerful! Exquisite topic. I’m so blessed to hear this podcast. I can really isolate myself in so many ways and this is a big deal!
I love your podcasts and have shared them with so many of my friends. This one in particular was so timely. A couple of us want to do a book study of the Theology of the Body since Francie mentioned how helpful it was for her. It looks like there are a couple of different versions of the book. Is there one that you (or Francie) would recommend for our purpose? We’re all mothers and wives looking to better connect with our husbands in this way.
Wow. Wow. Wow. So much goodness in this episode that I need to listen again when I’m not driving and take notes!