Life seems to be a series of highs and lows. If my happiness depends on the circumstances around me, I’m in for quite the roller coaster ride.
Even this past week we received heartbreaking news about my mom’s health. BUT God has been faithful and present and steadfast to show up in the details. Including the timing of this interview. . .
Sara Hagerty’s book “Every Bitter Thing is Sweet” released in October 2014. I started reading it in May 2015 when my dad was diagnosed with colon cancer. Her words soothed my aching heart. Her honesty about her dad’s cancer diagnosis and God’s faithfulness through it brought me peace.
Then the day after we got my mom’s diagnosis I’m on Skype interviewing Sara. Well, first she and I cried and prayed together. . .then we recorded this interview.
Like I said, God is in the details.
Sara knows the struggle to believe God is good when life doesn’t turn out the way you’d hope. From marriage struggles, financial insecurity, parent illness, infertility exhaustion, etc, Sara discovered her only place of true security came when she prayed back God’s Word back to Him in adoration.
One day while sitting in her kitchen, utterly exhausted by life, God gave her these words:
The satisfied soul loathes the honeycomb, but to the hungry soul,
every bitter thing is sweet. (Proverbs 27:7)
Thanksgiving week is full of remembering all that God has done for us. Who couldn’t use an extra heaping helping of gratitude these days?
Sara reminding us about adoration, takes gratitude and turns it towards who God is. Praising Him not for what He has done for me, but who He promises to be. Which then shifts my heart to believe He is who He says He is.
Beginning and End.
Lover of our souls.
Binder of the brokenhearted.
If you need to hear a word of encouragement and be reminded of who God is and why He can be trusted, then this episode is for you, sweet sister. Happy Thanksgiving!
Connect with Sara:
Featured Sponsor: Persimmon Prints
Persimmon Prints is a faith-based art & apparel company located in the Chicago area. With every purchase, we help you FILL your life with print, FIX your heart on God, and FIGHT for those in need. We believe in eternal investments and providing ethically made goods; we prioritize having continued partnerships with various faith-based organizations, both locally and worldwide, while also placing quality goods in your hands. So, treat yourself & your home to beautiful, purposeful products, while giving back to the greater community.
What we chat about:
- Discovering life with God is often NOT like a treadmill, always gaining speed and strength
- God’s revelations to Sara through the pain of infertility and marriage struggles
- Facing bitterness and the nagging feeling “God is good, he’s just not good to me.”
- Recognizing the hunger that lies beneath bitterness; God’s “divine alluring”
- Intentionally seeking God in the places your heart comes alive
- Adoration as a spiritual discipline: speaking scriptures (even the hard ones) back to Him
- Honesty with God on areas you struggle to believe instead of just splashing some “Jesus juice” on it
- How God sees all of the “hidden parts of life” of moms that often feel unnoticed
- Vulnerability not for it’s own sake but with the intention of God’s restoration
- How God not only restored Sara’s marriage, but how He used the hard times to bring more to it than she thought possible
- “Every Bitter Thing is Sweet” book **
- Psalm 139
- 2 Corinthians 12:9–Our weakness is the place where God moves.
**Amazon affiliate link
How to listen to the podcast:
1.Listen on the blog. Click through to GodCenteredMom.com and click the play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch – There are a lot of great podcasting apps. Apple has a free one (that I mentioned) in the app store, there is also one called Downcast. It allows you to search for shows, subscribe to them and even speed up the audio. If you don’t have an iDevice, you can listen via Stitcher.
3. Subscribe to the Podcast – access the podcast in iTunes (Click here to access via iTunes). You can also search for it on your smartphone app (like the ones listed above) and subscribe.
Here is my lie (similar to one you mentioned): I have to get this all right so that God can use me to reach that unbelieving neighbor.
Such pressure. Such fear. Such condemnation that He doesn’t put on me.
I came across this so randomly on facebook. I thought I listen after reading the intro. As I am listening I just kept crying my eyes out. I am in that season where a couple a years ago I asked God to heal me and I wanted to know him more. Since then it has been so tight on finances and I am still speaking God’s word for healing from PCOS and praying for twins He promised me a couple of years ago. Today I was a rollercoaster. I had joy saying his word this morning. Then fears and worries of if this is ever going to pass? Am I good enough for God to heal me? How much longer God? I am tired of this. Thoughts like that flooded my mind. I couldn’t even lay down with my husband tonight. But God saw me tonight and led me here. It brought JOY to my heart to hear how Sara overcame infertility and has a full house! The realness she brought really opened my eyes because I feel exactly the way she felt then right at this time in my life. Especially at baby showers even my little sisters last year. I feel that pain and bitterness but God is good. After listening to this podcast I feel so much Joy knowing that this will end one day and I will overcome and to keep speaking God’s word over my life. Thank you so much!
Bless the Lord
O my soul,
And forget not His benefits.
He who forgives ALL your inequities,
And He who heals ALL your diseases.
Redeems your life from the pit of destruction,
And crowns you with loving-kindness.
Who makes you speak good things like the renewal of the beaks of eagles.
– Psalm 103:
(I forgot haha & still remembering)
The Lord gives a barren woman a home and makes her a joyful mother of children.
– Psalm (?)