It’s not all sunshine and roses in marriage, even when both you and your husband follow Jesus. My guests today share about one of the most painful possibilities in a marriage —infidelity.
My friend Jae tells her story of learning her husband had an affair and the work God did in both of their lives to restore their marriage. Licensed professional counselor Cheryl Scruggs shares about her infidelity, divorce, and eventual re-marriage, along with a lot of practical advice and scriptures she learned in the seven years she was separated from her husband.
The main takeaway? HOPE. There is hope for your marriage. It’s not easy, because we’re all sinners, but God can heal and restore us when we surrender it all to him.
For all of us in marriage, I think it’s important that we are paying attention. In John 10:10 it says that the thief comes kill, steal and destroy, but I have come to give you life and life abundantly. God wants us to have a great marriage, not easy, not perfect. But it’s really understanding we’re both sinners and how are we going to walk this walk together in this relationship as a sinner married to a sinner.
**If you are in a relationship where you or your children have been physically abused, please contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233 or http://www.thehotline.org.
What we chat about:
- Cheryl Scruggs and Jae share their marriage stories.
- Discovering God’s plans for marriage.
- Hope for restoration in marriage even after an affair.
- How do you know if God is asking you to stay in a marriage?
- Trusting God with your spouse and being open to what he wants to teach you and show you.
- Understanding our role as a wife God has called you to be.
- Recognizing the situations where it’s necessary to leave a marriage (physical safety, lifestyle of infidelity).
- It takes time for healing in marriage.
- Physical intimacy throughout marriage conflicts.
- Balancing advice from friends and family with what God wants for your marriage.
- Biblical roles in marriage.
- Eph. 3:20 – Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us
- Matthew 19:26 – Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”
- Deuteronomy 8:1-10 – Be careful to follow every command I am giving you today, so that you may live and increase and may enter and possess the land the Lord promised on oath to your ancestors. Remember how the Lord your God led you all the way in the wilderness these forty years, to humble and test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands… For the Lord your God is bringing you into a good land. [read full passage]
- John 10:10 – The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
Connect with Cheryl and Hope Matters Marriage Ministry:
- Hope Matters Marriage Ministry
- Thriving Beyond Belief Podcast
- Cheryl and Jeff’s Book, “I Do Again: How We Found a Second Chance at Our Marriage–and You Can Too”**
- Song of Solomon: God’s Best for Love, Marriage, Sex and Romance DVD**
- The Power of a Praying® Wife**
- The Ripple Effect of Healthy Sexual Connection Francie Winslow Ep 138
- Sacred Marriage: What If God Designed Marriage to Make Us Holy More Than to Make Us Happy?**
- How to Save Your Marriage Alone**
**Amazon affiliate link, with no additional cost to you, a portion of your purchase will go to support the production of this show.
Featured Sponsor: Prep Dish
Prep Dish meal plans were created by chef and dietician Allison Schaaf to help save you time and put home-cooked meals on the table. No meal time stress. No more answering the dreaded question, “What’s for Dinner?!”. Developed by chef and dietician Allison Schaaf, Prep Dish is a healthy, whole food based meal plan subscription service. Allison does all the planning for you- including easy-to-follow shopping lists and prep-ahead instructions so you know what to prepare and when.
Imagine…all of your meals prepped and ready to go for the entire week. We like to call this meal time bliss!
Online Marriage Conference with Dr. Paul David Tripp:
Best-selling author and marriage counselor Dr. Paul David Tripp hosted an exclusive live stream event. In four life-changing sessions, he challenged husbands and wives to ask two questions and make two commitments that would radically change their marriage.
Now, for a limited time, you can have on-demand digital access to this powerful conference. But hurry – replay access is only available until March 31, 2018. Purchase a Replay License today and unlock the entire event. Licenses are available for individuals, home groups, and entire churches. Get a discount with code: “GodCentered”.
How to listen to the podcast:
1.Listen on the blog. Click through to GodCenteredMom.com and click the play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch – There are a lot of great podcasting apps. Apple has a free one (that I mentioned) in the app store, there is also one called Downcast. It allows you to search for shows, subscribe to them and even speed up the audio. If you don’t have an iDevice, you can listen via Stitcher.
3. Subscribe to the Podcast – access the podcast in iTunes (Click here to access via iTunes). You can also search for it on your smartphone app (like the ones listed above) and subscribe.
Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas was mentioned in this podcast and is on sale from Christian audio for $4.98 through tomorrow!
Hey Heather, THANK YOU for your podcast and ministry. Apologies for contacting you via this route…when I click on the “email” links, for some reason it takes me to this page (and I’m not tech savvy, so maybe am just missing the obvious). Anyway, I’m the author of a recent release that I thought may dovetail with something of your words and work; it’s called “Stretch Marks I Wasn’t Expecting” and is a memoir on early marriage and motherhood. If there’s every a way to link up via “sponsorship,” or giving away a copy, etc., I would be honored to be a part. Thanks so much for your consideration, Abbie
This really spoke volumes to me! My husband and I lived in sin for years before we came to the Lord and got married a week later! We will be renewing our vows this August. It’ll only be 7 years of marriage but it’s our testimony to faith that just proves the power of Gods love and word. God stripped us of everything we had in order for us to have what we do now! There is hope even when you feel completely hopeless. Our story is much great than what I can write down here!
Easy to follow, easy to read…heck I had developed to leave a