No matter the battleground . . . Marriage challenges. Child struggles. Health trials. Overwhelming circumstances. How do you maneuver the daily attacks that rob your joy and peace?
This week’s mentor is Jan Greenwood, author and pastor of equipping at Gateway Church in Southlake, TX. In 2009, Jan was diagnosed with Stage IV breast cancer. After the first battle, she experienced years of healing. Then four days shy of her 6 year recovery anniversary, cancer resurged in her body.
In this episode, Jan shares what God’s taught her about waging war. And how the football term #squareup impacted her battle strategies differently from the first and second time she fought cancer. Jan shares what it means for her to rest and let God fight for her. And encourages each of us to get a word and direction from the Lord for our unique situations.
Here are a few of my favorite quotes from this episode:
This time my mindset has had to become one of agreement and not one of opposition. And squaring up is not about being steadfast in the Word of God, but its really about can I square up in such a manner that I can look at Jesus and trust Him.
I’m not very brave and not very strong. When I’m weak there’s a strength that shines through. And when I’m afraid, He makes me courageous.
I know how to fight but I don’t know how to rest.
Connect with Jan Greenwood:
What we chat about:
- How God spoke to Jan at the news of cancer’s resurgence.
- How Jan found comfort in her son’s football word “square up”.
- The difference between how Jan has fought cancer the first time and the second time.
- What “square up” means for her in this season.
- The story behind the hashtag Jan uses: #bravestronggirl.
- How her battle with cancer impacts her mothering.
- Jan’s desire to get women to war together instead against each other.
- The revelation to choose life and not succumb to death.
- What rest looks like in Jan’s every day.
- How you need your own word and direction from God.
- “Women at War: Declaring a Cease-fire on Toxic Female Relationships” ** (womenatwar.com)
- The #SquareUp story on her site JanGreenwood.me
- Brave Strong Girl — The Invitation — A Collaborative Devotional
**Amazon Affiliate Link
How to listen to the podcast:
1.Listen on the blog. Click through to GodCenteredMom.com and click the play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch – There are a lot of great podcasting apps. Apple has a free one (that I mentioned) in the app store, there is also one called Downcast. It allows you to search for shows, subscribe to them and even speed up the audio. If you don’t have an iDevice, you can listen via Stitcher.
3. Subscribe to the Podcast – access the podcast in iTunes (Click here to access via iTunes). You can also search for it on your smartphone app (like the ones listed above) and subscribe.
Can you help?
I don’t know if I heard it on your podcast, but I am looking for a bible memory app.
I think it cost $10.
Thanks for your help!
Thx Jan for sharing! I listened to your podcast and felt so encouraged this morning about what you said, as I’m soon to be in full blown labour with our fourth child. So glad Jesus is carrying the ball, really allows me to have peace and rest this morning as I trust in Him. Your message is really deep, as you’ve truly lived it. Thank you!