You desire your children to walk with God. But how do you lead them to that place?
Is that only your husband’s job? What if you are a single mom or functionally single mom?
What about your role as a leader in your faith community? Should women leaders be gentle and quiet?
Today’s guest is Jen Wilkin, author of “None Like Him” and “Women of the Word”. She debunks some myths we believe about spiritual leadership, inside and outside of the home.
Her desire is for women to be grounded in the truth of God’s Word. To study with both their hearts and their minds. To know God and who He is. Then from knowing Him and His character see how He crafted us uniquely and our high worth in His eyes.
In this episode Jen and I chat about spiritual leadership. How we can expand the definition of what we think that means. How leading our children changes over the years. How her own single mom prayed fervently for her and for God to grow big in her life.
We also discuss how to be a spiritual leader in your community. How to manage that responsibility with humility and boldness. And how women need to not just see cute Instagram posts but know who God is from His Word.
Connect with Jen:
What we chat about:
- Jen’s young mom journey with three kids in four years.
- The need for accountability and structure in studying the Bible as a young mom.
- How the Wilkins describe leading children spiritual–the differences over the years.
- Tips for the woman who is spiritually leading her children.
- Expanding the definition of “spiritual leader” in the home.
- Jen’s journey of spiritual growth having a single mom.
- Self-reflection asking “Am I stepping on people? Limiting the contribution of others?”
- How to be a woman in spiritual leadership/ministry.
- What do you do if women think you are more “spiritual” than them.
- How to be grounded in theWord and not cute, Instagram posts.
- What does it mean that God is transcendent.
- Revolutionary Parenting by George Barna**
- When Dad Doesn’t Disciple by Jen Wilkin
- None Like Him by Jen Wilkin **
- In His Image by Jen Wilkin**
- Flower Mound Women’s Bible Study
- Jen’s Bible Study at the Village Church this Fall on Genesis
- Jen’s Published Bible Studies –>
**Amazon affiliate links
Featured Sponsor: The Declare Conference
Declare is a Christian conference to equip and encourage women bloggers, writers, speakers, artists, online marketers, leaders, and disciplers to know God and make Him known through deep community.
The Declare 2018 theme is: WARRIOR. We see a vision of God raising up women who stand on solid ground in their faith and fight for what God has promised them. We envision God’s daughters expanding and taking territory. Women who stand firm in their faith, living in peace regardless of what they are walking through. Each warrior fights for the Kingdom in her own way, bringing those she influences along with her.
This year’s event will be held at the Sheraton DFW Airport Hotel, October 4th-6th. You can also purchase pre-conference tickets for three different 90-minute advanced, technical sessions. Learn more here: www.WeareDeclare.com
Join me this Fall at the Declare Conference (I’ll be leading a breakout during the conference on podcasting!!) Get your ticket here.
How to listen to the podcast:
1.Listen on the blog. Click through to GodCenteredMom.com and click the play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch – There are a lot of great podcasting apps. Apple has a free one (that I mentioned) in the app store, there is also one called Downcast. It allows you to search for shows, subscribe to them and even speed up the audio. If you don’t have an iDevice, you can listen via Stitcher.
3. Subscribe to the Podcast – access the podcast in iTunes (Click here to access via iTunes). You can also search for it on your smartphone app (like the ones listed above) and subscribe.