Often the hardest assignments in our lives bring us the greatest good. I’ve seen it to be true in my own life. And have walked this Truth with friends on their journeys.
In this episode I’ve invited my friends Alice and Candace to share their stories of adoption. And the process of discovering their adopted children have special needs. We also discuss how God has led them each into new ministries because of the children He’s brought into their families.
I love seeing God’s purpose for Alice & Candace unfold alongside their leaning on Him for strength and guidance. Not to mention how they follow Him obediently with humor and grace!
I don’t know if God made Millie have autism or if that is a result of living in a fallen world. That’s something that I question every day. But I do know that the struggles that she has had more than anything else have shaped our family in a way that I think brings glory to God, more than the easy and fun and good things.–Alice
Alice and her family:
Candace and her family:
What we chat about:
- Meet Alice, Candace and their families
- Why each of their families chose to adopt
- Alice’s story of adopting internationally vs adopting domestically
- Discovering their adopted children’s special needs
- How growth for our children and our families happens in hard places
- It so good that God doesn’t show us the big picture of what he’s doing in our lives
- The struggles and joys of parenting a child on the autism spectrum
- Alice’s future plans for offering therapy with horses and assisting with children with special needs transitioning into jobs as adults
- Candace’s plans for helping foster children in a bigger way
- Praying through big decisions like adoption with your spouse and letting God change your hearts
- Adoption is hard on marriage, so you need to be on the same page
- How friends and community can support adoptive families
Featured Sponsors: PrepDish
Prep Dish meal plans were created by chef & dietician Allison Schaaf to help save you time and put home-cooked meals on the table. No meal time stress. No more answering the dreaded question, “What’s for Dinner?!”. Developed by chef & dietician Allison Schaaf, Prep Dish is a healthy, whole food based meal plan subscription service. Allison does all the planning for you- including easy-to-follow shopping lists and prep-ahead instructions so you know what to prepare and when.
Imagine…all of your meals prepped and ready to go for the entire week. We like to call this meal time bliss!
Get 2 weeks of meal plans FREE! Go to Prepdish.com/gcm and use coupon code: GCM
Tickets are officially on sale starting today!! This year we are adding more seats and options!! Check out all the details and get your tickets HERE.
Parenting — Streaming Event 2018
Parenting is hard work, but what could be more important in your life than being one of God’s tools to form a human soul? In his brand-new streaming event, pastor and best-selling author Dr. Paul David Tripp will share four principles that can radically change the way you raise your children.
This conference has on-demand streaming access until November 30. With a Streaming License, you, your friends, or your entire church will be encouraged by biblical and practical wisdom. Your Streaming License will also include a free study guide, loaded with questions for further discussion.
How to listen to the podcast:
1.Listen on the blog. Click through to GodCenteredMom.com and click the play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch – There are a lot of great podcasting apps. Apple has a free one (that I mentioned) in the app store, there is also one called Downcast. It allows you to search for shows, subscribe to them and even speed up the audio. If you don’t have an iDevice, you can listen via Stitcher.
3. Subscribe to the Podcast – access the podcast in iTunes (Click here to access via iTunes). You can also search for it on your smartphone app (like the ones listed above) and subscribe.