When Karen Harmon found out she was unexpectedly pregnant at 40 with her third child, she had a lot of mixed emotions. With a history of autoimmune disease, her doctor advised her against her having more children.
In the midst of processing her emotions surrounding the pregnancy and the fear of how her body would react, Karen experienced a rare complication that put her on crutches for the final three months of the pregnancy. In this place of extreme physical limitation, Karen felt stripped of any control of her life.
I don’t think I’ve ever actually been in that place with the Lord where there was literally no control. I had never had a crisis of faith, if you will. I had never been in that moment where I literally had to take my hands off the wheel and say, ‘I may not understand God, but I’m going to trust you anyway.’
In our conversation, Karen takes us through how praising God in the midst of her pain slowly changed her perspective about her situation.
Every morning instead of crumbling in a pile of tears down on my knees for just the miserable life that I was living, I thought: ‘God, I’m going to praise you for this and I will trust that you know exactly what you’re doing and that your plan and your will is the best way. Better than anything I could plan anything I could think of. You will never waste anything and I’m going to trust you no matter what.’
What we chat about:
- Karen’s background as a working, homeschooling mom and encouraging women to live out their giftings
- Her work speaking with Propel Women, traveling and feeling some independence at a mom of older kids
- The surprise of her third pregnancy and how she processed her emotions with God
- Her health journey with autoimmune diseases and her concerns about the pregnancy
- Another unexpected complication with the pregnancy that caused her to experience hip fractures
- How taking her pain to God and receiving the assignment to praise him in the midst of the pain and even for the pain made a huge difference
- Expressing our emotions honestly can bring freedom vs holding them inside
- Trusting God to increase your desire for his word and prayer even when you don’t feel like it
- As moms we can still be ministers in our daily life. We are called to be faithful servants of God in small, consistent ways
- The miracles and healing she experienced in the birth of her son and right after
- Postpartum depression and what worked in Karen’s experience
Connect with Karen:
- Propel Ministries www.propelwomen.org
- Episode with Jenn Jett: https://heathermacfadyen.com/2018/02/12/how-god-personally-pursues-redeems-jenn-jett-ep-193/
Featured Sponsor: Discipline that Connects Online Course by Connected Families
- Four key messages that will shape what your children believe about themselves in a way that make them WANT to behave better.
- To communicate these four powerful messages in ways your kids can’t miss.
- How to respond with confidence (not confusion) when your kids act up.
Course begins February 4th (available forever). Save 20% off with code mentioned in podcast episode. Join Heather and others with accountability through specified DTC Facebook group.
Featured Sponsor: PrepDish
Prep Dish meal plans were created by chef & dietician Allison Schaaf to help save you time and put home-cooked meals on the table. No meal time stress. No more answering the dreaded question, “What’s for Dinner?!”. Developed by chef & dietician Allison Schaaf, Prep Dish is a healthy, whole food based meal plan subscription service. Allison does all the planning for you- including easy-to-follow shopping lists and prep-ahead instructions so you know what to prepare and when.
Imagine…all of your meals prepped and ready to go for the entire week. We like to call this meal time bliss!Get 2 weeks of meal plans FREE! Go to Prepdish.com/dma.
Decode Your Toddler’s Behavior–Online Training
Join Heather on January 29th at 1pm CST for a live chat. A conversation based on her knowledge of typical speech-language development and sensory systems as a licensed speech-language pathologist specializing in 0-3 development. She will help you decode your child’s misbehavior and improve your shared communication decreasing both of your frustration. She will also answer questions you may be having.
Click here to join us ($14 access fee)
*if you are a ‘Not Alone Community Member’ check your email for full discount code.
Not Alone Community–Spiritual Growth Guide
If you are looking to grow spiritually in 2019, then I’d love to help you! I’ve created a spiritual growth guide. One that includes:
- How to create a Habit of Spending Time with God
- What to Study
- How to Study God’s Word
- How to Pray
You’ll also get access to last month’s mentor chat with the AMAZING Kat Lee. Answering your questions about forming a morning habit and studying God’s Word! You’ll be the first to know when I offer my special “Communicating with Your Toddler” interactive training.Join Here