As moms, we are like a life support system for our kids. To keep our families healthy, we need to be healthy. A key part of our overall well being is setting healthy boundaries.
But boundaries are hard. They require uncomfortable, direct conversations. We may need to put a limit on really good things or draw a line in the sand with our in-laws or parents.
My guest, Dr. John Townsend literally wrote the book on boundaries and he shares some deep wisdom on how to set healthy boundaries while honoring our family members and others.
You’ve got to take care of your energy, your heart and your emotions. You’ve got to take care of yourself and your health. If you don’t guard that heart, then the wellsprings of life won’t come out from it. Boundaries are basically about how to set healthy, loving limits in our life. So we have something to offer to our children.
Townsend answers your tough questions about set limits with in-laws, making healthy boundaries for the holidays and even models having a tough conversation with a parent about a boundary.
This is an episode packed with great information and Townsend has several books and resources available if you want to go deeper. Let’s make setting healthy boundaries a priority and guard our hearts and our time to bring life to our family!
What we chat about:
- “Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.” Proverbs 4:23
- Setting boundaries is guarding our wellspring of life so we can love our kids
- His book, Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No To Take Control of Your Life
- Is setting boundaries biblical? YES!
- The difference between hurting and harming someone when it comes to setting boundaries
- Honoring vs obeying your parents as an adult
- What it looks like to have a boundary setting conversation
- Conveying love in hard conversations and not getting hijacked with emotions or blame
- Giving three chances when you set new boundaries and how to have consequences when they aren’t respected
- Turning to spiritual family when biological family isn’t what your kids need
- Keeping the lines of communication open with grandparents and communicating boundaries in love
- Looking for mild, moderate and severe reactions to suggestions and boundary setting
- Suggestions for setting healthy boundaries for the holidays
- The idea of people fuel and relational nutrients that help us fuel up
Connect with Dr. John Townsend:
- Website: https://drtownsend.com
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/DrTownsendsPage
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/townsendnow
- Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No To Take Control of Your Life**
- Relational Nutrients: http://relationalnutrients.com
- People Fuel: Fill Your Tank for Life, Love and Leadership ** Pre-order now
**As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Who else has tried FabFitFun? If you don’t already know about it, it’s a seasonal box, with full-size beauty, fitness and lifestyle products. The box I received is epic. Each season’s box features a variety of amazing, quality brands like Tarte, Kate Somerville, Anthropologie, Free People, Dr. Brandt and that’s just the beginning of it. Don’t miss out, because they sell out fast. Check out www.FABFITFUN.com and use the special code mentioned in this week’s episode to save $10 off your first box, making it only $39.99. You deserve to treat yourself!
It doesn’t matter how much we want to pray more, making it actually happen is hard because it’s noisy out there. Even behind closed doors of our prayer closet, our mind can still keep us distracted. Maybe these are your goals for your prayer life too:
PRAY MORE / ELIMINATE DISTRACTIONS / FIND FOCUS
AND ULTIMATELY EXPERIENCE A DEEPER CONNECTION WITH GOD
You might think the term “prayer warrior” is reserved for that girl on Instagram who’s daily gleaning wisdom from the Bible over a delicious cup of coffee. Or maybe “prayer warrior” makes you think of the friend you always know will pray for you.
Here’s the truth and some good news: Being a prayer warrior is a learned skill and I want to set you up with an amazing tool to learn it! Yep. Even in this noisy world full of all it’s distractions.
Our undated prayer journal can be started at any time throughout the year and makes a great gift for birthdays or just to have on hand for that unexpected gift needed. The size is perfect to tuck in your Bible or purse!