Just in time for Father’s Day we have a great conversation with Joel Fitzpatrick, a pastor and author, who encourages dads (and moms) to have gospel-focused conversations with their sons.
There’s power in having conversations with your kids that opens up your relationship. It’s a freedom that gives your kids a safe place to talk to someone. But then it also gives you the ability to speak God’s truth into their lives.
We talk about the barriers that keep us from going deep with our kids and how to fight back against the fear and complacency that can become commonplace. Joel also shares how Jesus is the ultimate picture of biblical masculinity and how to be an emotionally safe parent for your son or daughter.
We need to be very careful with our emotions when our kids come and they confess their sins to us. When your son comes to you and he’s been angry, you need to be careful not to respond in anger, but to respond with love and with kindness and with using your strength to provide a place of safety.
This is an episode that would be perfect to share with your spouse and the dads in your life. Joel shares a lot of truth for both moms and dads about how we can stay actively engaged with our kids and keep the gospel message at the forefront.
As Joel shares, it comes down to setting aside intentional time to go deep with our kids. What step can you make this summer to have a gospel-centered conversation with your son or daughter?
What we chat about:
- Joel’s background as a construction worker and as a minister
- What are gospel conversations and how do we have them with our kids
- How to fight against fear and complacency to continually engage with our kids
- Biblical masculinity vs worldly masculinity
- Working with a son who is displaying aggression and violence
- Keeping our emotions in check when we’re having tough discipline conversations
- Look at your kids’ lives as a timeline and not a snapshot
- Learning to process emotions in a healthy way with our kids
- Being aware of your sons’ emotions and actively engaged with how he is processing them
- Teaching sons how to think about and interact with women in light of the gospel
Connect with Joel Fitzpatrick:
- Website: https://www.joelfitzpatrick.co
- Twitter: @joeldfitz
- Instagram: @joeldfitz
- Podcast: Front Porch with the Fitzes
- Book: Between Us Guys: Life-Changing Conversations for Dads and Sons**
- Book: Emotionally Healthy Relationships**
- Podcast: [Ep 219] Idols of Motherhood :: Elyse Fitzpatrick
**As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Featured Sponsor: Val Marie Paper
It doesn’t matter how much we want to pray more, making it actually happen is hard because it’s noisy out there. Even behind closed doors of our prayer closet, our mind can still keep us distracted. Maybe these are your goals for your prayer life too:
PRAY MORE / ELIMINATE DISTRACTIONS / FIND FOCUS
AND ULTIMATELY EXPERIENCE A DEEPER CONNECTION WITH GOD
You might think the term “prayer warrior” is reserved for that girl on Instagram who’s daily gleaning wisdom from the Bible over a delicious cup of coffee. Or maybe “prayer warrior” makes you think of the friend you always know will pray for you.
Here’s the truth and some good news: Being a prayer warrior is a learned skill and I want to set you up with an amazing tool to learn it! Yep. Even in this noisy world full of all it’s distractions.
Our undated prayer journal can be started at any time throughout the year and makes a great gift for birthdays or just to have on hand for that unexpected gift needed. The size is perfect to tuck in your Bible or purse!
Featured Sponsor: FabFitFun
Who else has tried FabFitFun? If you don’t already know about it, it’s a seasonal box, with full-size beauty, fitness and lifestyle products. The box I received is epic. Each season’s box features a variety of amazing, quality brands like Tarte, Kate Somerville, Anthropologie, Free People, Dr. Brandt and that’s just the beginning of it. Don’t miss out, because they sell out fast. Check out www.FABFITFUN.com and use the special code mentioned in this week’s episode to save $10 off your first box, making it only $39.99. You deserve to treat yourself!