Fellow boy moms, this episode is for you! This chat with Monica Swanson another mom of four boys and author of the new book Boy Mom dives into a lot of your questions about how to raise your boys to be godly men.
We talk about encouraging strong friendships between brothers, teaching boys to be strong AND gentle, and about the importance of giving our sons ways to experience excitement and adventure while getting some of their natural aggression out in safe physical activities.
I am a big believer that boys were made for adventure that they need to have some excitement in their lives I think is just how God wired them. They’re little warriors who need to experience some thrills. A lot of the trouble boys can get into is related to when they’re lacking authentic adventure, when they’re not facing challenges and overcoming obstacles.
Monica has two boys out of high school and two still in the nest, so she offers a lot of hope for those of us in the trenches of parenting to keep pressing into relationship with our sons and to make the practicals of faith an anchor in all that we do.
God is so big and so powerful and he can move mountains on behalf of your son. He wants your son’s heart more than you even know. We get our boys plugged in everywhere we can. We want them to have so many positive spiritual models in their life that there’s no denying that God is the best way to go. It about coming alongside them and saying, ‘This is for your best. God is for you. Let’s walk this life with him.’
What we chat about:
- Monica’s four boys and working with very different personalities
- Building healthy brother relationships and dealing with kids who hit
- Boys need to let out their energy with exercise and physical activity
- Setting healthy boundaries for your kids with manners and learning to laugh with them about it too
- Teaching boys how to balance strength and kindness by pointing them to the stories of godly men
- The power of shoulder to shoulder conversations with boys and why to keep pressing into conversation with them
- Motivating boys to get excited about school and finding hobbies and interests
- Ideas for how to foster adventure for your boys and learning not to parent from a place of fear
- Fostering faith in your sons through time in the Word, prayer and modeling
Connect with Monica:
- Website: monicaswanson.com
- Podcast: monicaswanson.com/podcast
- Facebook: facebook.com/TheGrommom
- Instagram: @monicaswanson_
- Twitter: @thegrommom
- Boy Mom: What Your Son Needs Most from You ** [BOOK]
- What Your Kids, Marriage and Ministry Need :: Monica Swanson [Ep 82] PODCAST
- Strong: How God Equipped 11 Ordinary Men with Extraordinary Power **[BOOK]
- Knights in Training: Ten Principles for Raising Honorable, Courageous, and Compassionate Boy **[BOOK]
- 20 Ways to Make Your Son Feel Loved [PRINTABLE]
** As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Featured Sponsor: Technology and Teens Summit
One of the biggest pain points we consistently hear about from parents is the question of the role of smartphones and technology with Gen Z. They seem to have overwhelming consequences we can’t always see until it happens. Parents and faith leaders want to know how to restrict, discuss, and use these devices that are overtaking the next generation.
Join me plus 11 other experts on the Technology and Teens Summit starting September 17th! It is a FREE 4-day summit to learn from 12 Christian experts who’s everyday job is to research and teach about this specific topic from a Christian worldview.
Mark your calendar for September 17 and sign up to reserve your free spot today at axis.org/dontmomalone!
Along with me and people like Kirk Cameron, Dr. Kathy Koch, Andy Crouch, and Chris McKenna plus more will bring relevant information concerning Gen Z and their technology. We will share the “How To” on starting conversations about the role technology has in your home and child’s life.
We hope you will join us in this journey and can’t wait to help you and other caring adults tackle the smartphone and all that is involved with Gen Z’s technology!