My guest today is Ruth Chou Simons. She’s a mom of six boys and an author and entrepreneur. You may know her best from the beautiful watercolor prints and products she creates for her business on Gracelaced.com.
In her newest book, Beholding and Becoming: The Art of Everyday Worship**, Ruth shares about how every day is an opportunity to be shaped and formed by what moves our hearts and captures our gaze.
We dive into what that looks like in Ruth’s life and how choosing to focus on Christ changes everything from our perspective on our parenting and work to how we look at others.
The most unhappy I get is if I get preoccupied with somebody else’s story. And I don’t give thanks and I don’t jot down reminders of how he’s provided for the ultimate story of redemption in my life. And also how he’s working that out day by day and writing my story anew.
We talk about how our fast-paced, hustle culture steals the joy and the beauty away from the everyday faithfulness of growing in God. My favorite reminder she shared is, “You don’t have to be blooming to be growing.”
So true. How often do we start something and expect instant gratification and quick wins? We want easy-to-share glossy images of success. But God looks at our hearts. At the slow growing happening under the surface. We are all in process with God until we see him in heaven.
Let’s celebrate the small wins and focus on turning our eyes toward God and away from the distractions and hollow gratification of social media. As Ruth reminds us, we become what we behold. Those small, unseen decisions really add up to who we are.
Because at the end of the day, every action we have is really stemming out of our belief in our worship. And so how you think, and how you believe, and what you believe is the most beautiful and worthy of gazing at in your life will actually translate into what you do next. What your little moments every day are accumulating to be for a lifetime.
What we chat about:
- Focusing on the beauty of what God has created vs comparing our lives to someone else’s on social media
- At the root of dissatisfaction in our lives is an underlying struggle with identity. Is our identity found in Christ or is it found in everything going our way?
- Growing our appetite for the things of God by choosing to fill our time with his Word.
- The struggles women have with wanting to do something perfectly or not at all
- Celebrating the process of growing vs seeing immediate fruit in our lives
- What you believe is the most beautiful and worthy of gazing at in your life will actually translate into what you do next
- The goal isn’t just to experience God’s provision, but to trust that his presence in our lives is enough
- “Nearness to God brings likeness to God. The more you see God, the more of God will be seen in you.” – C.H Spurgeon
Connect with Ruth:
- Website: gracelaced.com
- Facebook: facebook.com/gracelaced
- Instagram: @ruthchousimons and @gracelaced
- GCM Ep 23: Beauty creator. Unity builder. Mom. –Ruth Simons [PODCAST]
- Beholding and Becoming: The Art of Everyday Worship** [BOOK] Releases September 10
- 12 Ways Your Phone Is Changing You** [BOOK]
**As an Amazon affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Featured Sponsor: PrepDish
Prep Dish meal plans were created by chef and dietician Allison Schaaf to help save you time and put home-cooked meals on the table. No meal time stress. No more answering the dreaded question, “What’s for Dinner?!”. Developed by chef and dietician Allison Schaaf, Prep Dish is a healthy, whole food based meal plan subscription service. Allison does all the planning for you- including easy-to-follow shopping lists and prep-ahead instructions so you know what to prepare and when. NOW offering KETO MEAL PLANS!
Imagine…all of your meals prepped and ready to go for the entire week. We like to call this meal time bliss! Get 1 MONTH of meal plans for $4! Go to Prepdish.com/dma.
Featured Sponsor: FabFitFun
Who else has tried FABFITFUN? If you don’t already know about it, it’s a seasonal box, with full-size beauty, fitness and lifestyle products. The box I received is truly fabulous.
Each season’s box features a variety of amazing, quality brands like Tarte, Kate Somerville, Anthropologie, Free People, Dr. Brandt and that’s just the beginning of it.
Don’t miss out, because they sell out fast. Check out www.FABFITFUN.com and use the code mentioned in the middle of this episode so you can save $10 off your first box, making it only $39.99!