Author, blogger and podcast host Sarah Mae joins me to share her story of working through the generational bondage of alcoholism and the verbal and emotional abuse she suffered from her mother.
I remember yelling out, ‘I’m going to kill myself,’ and her saying, ‘Go ahead, I dare you.’ And that was it for me. I just bawled because I felt so unloved and so confused.
In her new book The Complicated Heart, Sarah takes us into her painful past and all she experienced with her mom. She also shares the hope and victory of how God wooed her heart and changed the direction of her family forever.
Dysfunction does not have to be your legacy. It does not have to be your identity. And you do not have to pass it on to your kids. It doesn’t matter if you were born into it, married into it or you created it yourself. There is always victory on the table. We just have to be willing to pick it up.
Throughout our chat, Sarah is candid and encouraging. She shares openly about the abortion she had at 16 and the healing she’s experienced from bravely speaking out against the shame of past sin and accepting God’s grace as all-sufficient.
What we chat about:
- How Sarah learned to love and forgive her alcoholic mother
- Practical advice for daughters who are hurting from parental woundings and hope for parents who have failed
- The verbal and mental abuse that Sarah endured as a teenager
- Honoring Sarah’s mom’s story by including her journal entries in the book
- Sarah’s path to healing and the many ways God wooed her heart
- The story behind Sarah’s abortion at 16-years-old
- Creating a new legacy for your family by bravely working through the places of sin and shame in your life
- Wounds from your parents are valid things to grieve
Connect with Sarah Mae:
- Website: www.sarahmae.com
- Podcast: The Complicated Heart Podcast
- Facebook: facebook.com/sarahmaewrites
- Instagram: @sarahmaewrites
- The Complicated Heart: Loving Even When It Hurts [BOOK]
- EP 93: I Am Restored :: Stacy Reaves [PODCAST]
- Forgiven and Set Free: A Post-Abortion Bible Study for Women [BOOK]
Featured Sponsor: PrepDish
Prep Dish meal plans were created by chef and dietician Allison Schaaf to help save you time and put home-cooked meals on the table. No meal time stress. No more answering the dreaded question, “What’s for Dinner?!”. Developed by chef and dietician Allison Schaaf, Prep Dish is a healthy, whole food based meal plan subscription service. Allison does all the planning for you- including easy-to-follow shopping lists and prep-ahead instructions so you know what to prepare and when. NOW offering KETO MEAL PLANS!
Imagine…all of your meals prepped and ready to go for the entire week. We like to call this meal time bliss! Get 1 MONTH of meal plans for $4! Go to Prepdish.com/dma.
Featured Sponsor: FabFitFun
Who else has tried FABFITFUN? If you don’t already know about it, it’s a seasonal box, with full-size beauty, fitness and lifestyle products. The box I received is truly fabulous.
Each season’s box features a variety of amazing, quality brands like Tarte, Kate Somerville, Anthropologie, Free People, Dr. Brandt and that’s just the beginning of it.
Don’t miss out, because they sell out fast. Check out www.FABFITFUN.com and use the code mentioned in the middle of this episode so you can save $10 off your first box, making it only $39.99!