If you’ve ever strived for perfection, then you know how it feels when you fall short.
Maybe you aren’t the one carrying a list of all you “need to do to earn God’s love.” But more the type who carries a “Never Good Enough List” with all the reasons you’ll never be able to earn His love.
Either way, Amy Carroll, (author, speaker, Proverbs 31 contributor) is on the podcast this week helping us break up with perfect.
In this episode (and in her new book), Amy helps us recognize the lies we have been believing and the Truth to set us free.
Lies like: “I was created to produce perfection” or “People are obstacles to my tasks” or “If I have the right stuff, my life will be perfect.”
My favorite quote from our conversation was:
Only when I end my own pursuit of perfection can God do a perfecting work in me. –Amy Carroll
May you experience a supernatural freedom from the struggle to be perfect. May your friendships deepen, your family be strengthened and your awareness of God’s love grow as you stop striving and surrender to His gentle heart work.
Connect with Amy:
Breaking Up with Perfect :: Blog :: Facebook :: Twitter :: Pinterest
What we chat about:
- The events making Amy aware of her perfectionism
- The impact a mentor had in Amy’s journey to lose the list of perfect
- The supernatural work God did on Amy to break the shell around her heart, to feel His love
- The two perfect super moms in Amy’s head–torn between two ideals.
- The destruction of friendship when perfectionism enters.
- The different types of perfectionists and their lists: good girl list or the never-good-enough list
- The possibility of passing on perfectionism to our kids.
- Courtney DeFeo–our connector
- Breaking up with Perfect
- Dr. Caroline Leaf
- Proverbs 31 Ministries
- The Opinion Blender–didn’t mention in podcast, but found it on Amy’s site. . .such great advice
- Have you had friendships end because of your struggles with perfection? When friends go through hard times do you wonder how to be a good, imperfect friend?
- Do you have a mentor? Is there someone you wish you could meet with? Could you make a plan to meet with her once in the next few months?
- Could you relate to Amy’s struggle to feel God’s love and having a list of things you have to do to be right with God?
- What areas are you striving for perfection in motherhood? Who is your mental ‘ideal’ mom? Earth-mama, right-on-schedule mom?
- Which type of perfectionist do you relate to—the good girl list or the never-good-enough list? Need to measure up or will never measure up? Or do you swing between the lists?
- What have you found helpful to break up with perfection?
- Betterhelp–get 10% off your first month of secure online professional counseling betterhelp.com/DMA
- Glorify app–Get 50% off unlimited access to Glorify App with promo code DMA applied in the profile section of the app.