The preteen/teen years are a time of immense change and growth that often come with difficulty between mother and child. As the mom of a teen you may find yourself confused or frustrated with your child’s new behavior and attitudes. (The thought of those years is enough to fill elementary-kid moms with dread!) Come and listen as we shed light on the confusion of these transitional years that will help us both prepare for and thrive during this crucial developmental stage.
In this episode Child Development Specialist, Dr. Nell Bush, explains to us the four pillars of preteen/teen development. Dr. Bush co-authored The Parenting Survival Guide, a practical handbook for parents addressing common child rearing concerns. Having four children of her own, she understands teen development on a theoretical and practical level.
Nell encourages us that if we can understand what’s going on socially, emotionally, mentally, and physically with our preteens/teens we can respond with compassion and adapt our parenting strategies to fit their needs. She also covers aspects of development from why teens sleep so much to why they seem to love and hate us almost simultaneously. Draw hope for the present or wisdom for the future as you sit in (or do the dishes, or drive the kids all over) on Heather and Nell’s conversation.
Connect with Dr. Nell Bush:
- Email: email@example.com
- Handout from Dr. Bush
- Birds and Bees https://birds-bees.com/
- Episodes with Mary Flo and Megan Michaelson of Birds and Bees
- Framebridge:Get started today–frame your photos or send someone the perfect gift. Go to Framebridge.com and use the promo code: DMA to save an additional 15% off your first order.
- HelloFresh: Go to HelloFresh.com/dma16 and use code dma16 for up to 16 free meals AND 3 free gifts.
- Stamps.com: Save time and money this year with stamps.com. Sign up with promo code DMA for a special offer that includes a 4-week trial, free postage and a digital scale. No long term commitments or contracts.