Does your life look exactly like you want it to? All too often we come across what seems like the life that we want on someone else’s Instagram. You can dismiss those as the “highlight reels”, that is what they are, but sometimes the girl next door has what you want. What do you do then? How do you prep your kids for when they don’t get invited or when they feel like someone else has it better than them?
My guest this week, Karen Ehman, says, “Go find your old self.”
She’s not leading us on an existential journey into the past, but to those around us that need the love of Christ. She encourages us in a powerful way that when we are discouraged by someone who has it “better” than us to find someone who has it “worse” than us, not so we can feel good about something, but because there is a person who needs the love of Christ.
We’re taking time this summer (as usual) to be mentored by some experienced moms and benefit from their wisdom. I’m asking them about their “mom brands” and the unique families and assignments God has given them to help us embrace the specific and unique spot God has given each of us.
- What stood out to you in this episode? Why?
- Who is your “old self”? What was a particularly difficult time God brought you through that you could use as a connection point to love someone else?
- When have you felt loved or seen by someone else in the midst of a difficult situation?
- Thinking about Karen’s mom and how hard she has to work as a single mom, where in your life are you having to work hard? Which of your God-given assignments is either physically, or mentally, or spiritually challenging? Spend some time praying for these situations with your group.
- When you think about loving others by inviting them into your life what limitations come to mind?
- Who is a necessary person you can love tangibly this month? Brainstorm ideas with your group about simple ways to show Christ’s love.
Connect with Karen Ehman:
- Website: https://karenehman.com/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OfficialKarenEhman
- Instagram: @karenehman
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLbA_nXZ6HAhLGUL6KNhzRw
- Make Their Day: 101 Simple, Powerful Ways to Love Others Well by Karen Ehman