Doubt is a normal part of a growing faith. When the big questions come, you can navigate them with confidence.
Is it worth it to go to church? If God is loving, why would he allow bad stuff in the world? Did God really create me the way I am on purpose?
Questions and exploration are rites of passage for the teenage years as each of us grapples (in varying degrees) to figure out who we are and where we want to go in life. With a near endless supply of voices, ideas, and influences from the internet and culture at large it can feel like our kids are in danger of being lost in a sea of information we have no control over.
But all is not lost! My guest this week, apologist and writer Mary Jo Sharp, encourages us to walk with our kids into the tunnel of doubt. She reminds us that contrary to what we might think, we really are still the biggest influencers on our child’s religious views and that the culture we create in our homes around self transformation and questioning can help our kids make their faith their own. By giving them a safe space to ask and discuss the big questions of life we will likely give ourselves a seat at their decision-making table.
Mary and her team create resources for parents and teens as they walk through doubt and faith finding at DarkroomFaith.com
Connect with Mary Jo Sharp:
- Website: https://maryjosharp.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/confidentchristianity/
- Instagram: @MaryJoSharp
- Twitter: @MaryJoSharp
- Darkroom Faith
- Jane Eyre: A Guide to Reading and Reflecting by Karen Swallow Prior, Charlotte Brontë
- Confronting Christianity: 12 Hard Questions for the World’s Largest Religion by Rebecca McLaughlin
- 10 Questions Every Teen Should Ask (and Answer) about Christianity by Rebecca McLaughlin
- The “Unfiltered” Documentary on the Chosen App
- Practicing Faith Through Fear :: Dominique Young [Ep 295]
- Building Lasting Faith in Your Kids :: Dr. Kara Powell [Ep 290]
- Thrive Market. Get eighty dollars in free groceries! Go to ThriveMarket.com/DMA.
- Gladskin. Get 15% off plus free shipping on your first order at Gladskin.com/DMA.
- Indeed. Start hiring now with $75 sponsored job credit to upgrade your job post at Indeed.com/DMA.