It’s cliché until you have to live it – the grocery store crying infant or toddler tantrum. The hushed pleas or commands from embarrassed parents. The silent judgment of others.
Crying or whining are often attempts at communication, but they cause a stress response in moms and it can feel easier to just hush the child than keep a boundary. From there it’s a quick hop, skip, and a jump to all the mom-guilt we can throw on our shoulders. No, we can’t keep your toddler from throwing inane tantrums or make your infant suddenly articulate, but we know someone who can help you approach these situations from a different perspective.
As a licensed Language of Listening parent coach, certified sleep consultant, and mom to 5 kids, Rachel Norman has experienced a lot of infant and toddler behavior. In this episode she teaches us how to validate our children’s feelings while holding our boundaries. Rachel helps us understand why managing and understanding our own stress response to whining and crying can be a valuable tool as we help our children learn to regulate their own emotions.
Connect with Rachel Norman:
- Website: https://amotherfarfromhome.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AMotherFarFromHome?ref=hl
- Twitter: @momfarfromhome
- Instagram: @amotherfarfromhome
- If Mama Ain’t Happy: Why Minding Healthy Boundaries Is Good for Your Whole Family (A Mother’s Guide to Joy, Anxiety Relief, and Freedom from Depression, Stress, and Weariness. A Book of Hope for Moms.) by Rachel Norman
**Please note, this is a pre-order link. The book releases October 11, 2022.**
- Good and Angry: Exchanging Frustration for Character in You and Your Kids by Scott Turansky
- It Didn’t Start with You: How Inherited Family Trauma Shapes Who We Are and How to End the Cycle by Mark Wolynn
- Do Over Principle Video
- Quiet Time (Rest Time) for Toddlers: All You Need to Know A Mother Far From Home blog post
- Fed is Best || New Baby Series Pt 1 :: Demetria Martin and Dr. Odom [Ep 342]
- Fed is Best || New Baby Series Pt 2 :: Dr. Bridget Young [Bonus]
- Shepherding Healthy Sleep Habits :: Jenn and Robin of Sleepy Cues [Ep 230]