It’s been pointed out that if you want to make anything scary or negative, put “teenage” in front of it. For example, teenage driving, teenage parties, teenage sex, teenage thinking.
One of our main jobs as parents is to help our kids grow into functioning adults who make their own decisions. In order to do that, we have to give our kids freedoms to practice making their own decisions in meaningful ways.
Dr. Ken Wilgus is a father, author, and licensed psychologist with many years of helping parents and young adults navigate the teen years. He tells us that our teens want to know they can actually grow up in our house – to begin experiencing the freedom (and responsibility) of being an adult while still under our care. Though he isn’t promising us an easy ride, Dr. Wilgus encourages us that if we do that it will actually foster more attachment and connection with our teenagers.
Connect with Dr. Ken Wilgus:
- Website: http://www.drwilgus.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/feedingthemouthPodcast
- Instagram: @feedingthemouth
- Feeding the Mouth That Bites You: A Complete Guide to Parenting Adolescents and Launching them Into the World by Ken Wilgus, PhD.
- Feeding the Mouth That Bites You Podcast
- Doubt, Questions, and Your Teen’s Growing Faith :: Mary Jo Sharp [Ep 375]
- Understanding Your Developing Teen :: Dr. Nell Bush [Ep 351]
Join our DMA community and help 125 women in Guatemala become financially independent by funding the equipment for a bakery!! Click here to join us and raise $12,400.
- Find links to this week’s sponsors and unique promo codes at heathermacfadyen.com/sponsors.