“I don’t have time for the things that God has not called me to.”
My guest this week, Shontell Brewer, wisely speaks those words. She is a wife and mom of 5. She’s written a book on parenting and still things haven’t always gone the way she’s planned or wanted. But she has learned where to lean in and wait on the Lord. She’s learned that to be intentional as a mom or wife or teacher she’s got to cut out the “keeping up” with others, whether on social media or the mom down the street. And she’s learned that God hasn’t finished writing the story. Even if she can’t see to the end of all God’s workings in her kid’s lives, knowing His word and taking time to commune with Him have given her a firm foundation to stand on.
We’re taking time this summer (as usual) to be mentored by some experienced moms and benefit from their wisdom. I’m asking them about their “mom brands” and the unique families and assignments God has given them to help us embrace the specific and unique spot God has given each of us.
- What stood out to you from the episode?
- Shontell encourages us to get on the same level as the person across from us to grow intentionality in our relationships – be it a spouse or child or friend. What relationship in your life needs this sort of attention? How can you meet that person right where they are?
- How has God gifted you? Do you know?
- Have you thought through what you want for your children, or what the goal of your parenting is? Keeping the tiny humans alive is big work, so no shame at all if you haven’t! If we’re working towards intentionality as moms, thinking through this question can help us cut activities or practices we don’t need and to make space for ones we do.
- How do you measure your success as a parent?
- What situation or circumstance would benefit from you processing with God before processing with a friend? Set aside time to do that this week.
Connect with Shontell Brewer:
- Website: http://shontellbrewer.com/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/shontell.brewer
- Instagram: @shontellbrewer
- Twitter: @shontellbrewer
- Missionary Mom: Embracing the Mission Field Right Under Your Roof By Shontell Brewer
- Cru’s Spiritual Gifts Assessment
- More info on Spiritual Gifts
- Hello Fresh. Get up to 16 free meals and 3 free gifts at HelloFresh.com/DMA16
- Caraway Home. Non-Toxic cookware made modern. Visit Carawayhome.com/DMA to take advantage of a limited-time offer for 10% off your next purchase.
- Gladskin. Visit gladskin.com/DMA and get 15% off plus free shipping on your first order.