Tragedy struck and Paulette Franklin could have given up hope. Instead, she used it as a chance to “bring together the village of hope and help” from her extended family, namely her aunts, who lived both near and far. They rallied around Paulette and her boys through presence and connection. Make no mistake, single parenting was still hard work, but by clinging to her faith in God and the village around her, she and her boys thrived.
Though this bond with extended family was knitted together well before Paulette’s husband passed away, she had to let them in, she had to let them help. For Paulette’s middle son, DeVon, and his brothers, their aunts’ houses became places of refuge and connection that they still rely on to this day. DeVon and his aunts tell their compelling and encouraging story in his audiobook, It Takes a Woman, available now on Audible. Through the audiobook all of our villages are enlarged, all of their wisdom can be ours.
Connect with DeVon and Paulette Franklin:
- Website: https://devonfranklin.com/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DeVonFranklinOfficial
- Instagram: @DeVonFranklin
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKqTVGX0BZGQ5xPX98ibb4g
- Twitter: @DeVonFranklin
- It Takes a Woman audiobook by DeVon Franklin
- Heather’s Interview with Jennifer Garner and Christy Beam (start at 32:20 mark)
- Be Vulnerable, Find Your People :: Jennie Allen [Ep 354]
- Mom, You are Important, but Not Essential, That’s Good News :: Brittany J. Turner [Ep 361]
- Truth for When You Feel Like a Bad Mom :: Jamie Ivey [Ep 339]
- Athena Club–Get 20% off your first order at AthenaClub.com with promo code dma.
- Rothy’s–Your new favorite shoes are waiting. Discover the versatile styles you can wear absolutely anywhere and get $20 off your first purchase at rothys.com/DMA.
- Ladder– So go to LadderLife.com/dma today to see if you’re instantly approved.